Internal Quality Assurance
- To establish a system for continuous improvement in the academic and administrative performance of the FGS-SUSL;
- To foster quality culture and institutionalization of best practices in teaching, learning, evaluation, research and in all administrative processes assuring progressive performance.
A. The Programme Delivery System (PDS)
A program delivery system is a planned and organized structure of individual program delivery methods that have been chosen for a specific educational purpose, and are appropriately integrated to accomplish the intended learning outcomes of all programmes. Executing a graduate study programme efficiently and effectively requires the establishment of proper guidelines, and taking measure to enhance and maintain quality in all aspects of work. Every effort must be taken to address the challenges that programme administrators and candidates have to face by establishing sound principles to guide planning and decision making with regard to the delivery of academic programmes.
The FGS-SUSL focuses on continuous improvement of quality, creating an environment conducive for research, teaching and supervision by the faculty, and making incremental changes from ongoing evaluations relative to academic quality and the cost effectiveness of programme delivery. Thus, our quality assurance activities related to PDS are based on the following principles:
- Providing the desired experiential opportunities for the learner;
- Reinforcing the learner; and
- Providing opportunities for the learner to integrate new information with existing knowledge and to gain the experience which occurs through the interactions that take place within the context of the respective study programmes.
B. The Learner Support System (LSS)
The Learner Support System (LSS) focuses on an examination of who learners are, what their needs are, how their needs can be met, how services will be managed, how much the services will cost, and how the effectiveness of the support services will be evaluated. Therefore, the FGS-SUSLwill provide a comprehensive LSS to support the implementation, with fidelity, of:(1) effective standards-based instruction for all learners, (2) appropriate learner support through an array of services, and (3) management decision-making driven by the on-going assessment of up-to-date learner progress methodologies. In order to accomplish these objectives, academic and administrative support has been established with the following considerations:
- The academic advisory support service is provided on a fulltime basis for all candidates prior to and after registration. Prospective candidates can access Chairpersons or Secretaries of their proposed enrolling Board of Study to discuss matters related to their studies; such as possible fields of research, and opportunities for progression. This also includes academic progression towards upgrading an MPhil to PhD towards which candidates are guided from the inception of their studies;
- Material support that includes: (a) providing programme handbooks containing the by-laws of each programme; (b) providing guidelines for the compilation of dissertations and theses; and (c). Delivery of online learning materials (handouts, reference materials etc.) via the Learning Management System of the University;
- Financial support that includes providing funds to carry out studies by introducing research grants and scholarships especially to encourage research activities collaboratively carried out under the supervision of our own Faculty, and as well as the introduction of comprehensive study loan facility from a state bank;
- Obtaining the service of administrative and supportive staff on fulltime basis at the FGS-SUSL;
- Ensuring that information regarding all graduate study programmes is available online for easy access, in addition to the use of the print media;
- Establishing an enquiry-response system through e-mail;
- An FGS-SUSL Online Graduate Admission Portal has been introduced to enhance efficiency in the online submission of applications and processing of all documentation;
- Upon registration, each student will have access to his/her web portal, and this will also allow them to view their financial statements and progress up to the most recent semester that has been completed. The online facility also provides learners with the ability to download instruction manuals, guidelines, and also the templates/formats that are required to communicate with FGS-SUSL at various stages of their studies, or to make any special request regarding their studies;
- A Programme Coordinator will be appointed to administrate all academic matters in each programme. They will be involved in overall supervision of the organisation of activities, the proper execution of programmes according to the by-laws, guidelines and regulations of the University, and reporting progress to the Senate through the Board of Graduate Studies, FGS-SUSL; and
- Establishment of an Appeals Board for graduate students to forward their appeals/grievances during their candidacy.
C. Student Evaluation and Pear Review
- Student evaluation and peer reviewhas been implemented to measure the quality of teaching in all postgraduate programmes.
|Dr. Athula Gnanapala||Chairperson|
|Dr. Sampath Wahala||Sceratary|
|Dr. Ruvini K. Mutucumarana||Member|
|Dr. EPN Udayakumara||Member|
|Dr. Eranda Gunathilake||Member|
|Dr. Aruna Shantha||Member|