MSc Surveying Sciences
The Master of Science in Surveying Sciences programme provides an intensive training on the technical, analytical and professional aspects of modern and advanced surveying, geodesy, management, and environmental subjects. This postgraduate programme is tailor-made for land surveying professionals who have a Bachelor’s degree in Surveying Sciences, or an equivalent qualification with at least two years of experience in the field of Geomatics. Selected candidates are required to undertake coursework and a research project for the completion of the degree as specified in the Sri Lanka Qualification Framework (SLQF) established by the Quality Assurance and Accreditation Council of the University Grants Commission, Sri Lanka.
The main objective of the programme is to provide sound exposure to state-of-the-art technologies in this field, to allow students to specialize in the management of practical projects.Graduates will consequently become leading technical personnel in the fields of surveying/geomatics. To achieve this objective, the programme aims to provide the appropriate scientific understanding and extensive training in management and environmental subjects, in addition to advanced knowledge of surveying and geomatics. Further, the programme also aims to develop the transferable skills frequently sought by potential employers, such as those associated with verbal and written communication, and teamwork.
The programme is offered with the Faculty of Geomatics.The Faculty consists of a diversely qualified group of experts, and physical resources – e.g. software, survey instruments, reading materials– that are unparalleled. Given the years of academic and professional experience of the teaching faculty, the programme will be conducted in a novel manner so that the student gets hands-on experience. This practical based approach to teaching, is applied to all course modules.
Intended Learning Outcomes
On successfully completing the programme, a graduate should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge by applying modern concepts in geomatics and spatial and aspatial related data processing, including knowledge of related software.
- Analyse geo-spatial data from basic to complex forms, GIS based spatial data modelling, make judgments and propose solutions to related problems.
- Apply project management principles, methods and tools for planning and executing large scale multi-disciplinary projects, including elements of environmental management, industrial relations, contract law and financial considerations.
- Perform independent studies, identifying own personal development needs and goals, reflecting on own performance for personal, professional and scientific development.
The candidate should have at least one qualification in the following categories.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Surveying Sciences or
- A qualification equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree as recognized by the Senate and at least 2 years experience in the field of Geomatics.
|Year 1 Semester I||Credits|
|MS 211||Geometric Reference Systems and Map Projections||02|
|MS 212||Land Economics||02|
|MS 313||Project Management||03|
|MS 314||GNSS for Surveyors||03|
|MS 215||Research Methodology and Scientific Writing||02|
|MS 216||Principles and Applications of Environmental Sciences||02|
|Year I Semester II|
|MS 221||Programming Skills for Surveyors||02|
|MS 322||GIS for Surveyors||03|
|MS 233||Adjustment Calculus||02|
|MS 224||Hydrography for Surveyors||02|
|MS 226||Gravity Field Modelling and Interpretations||02|
|Year II Semester I|
|MS 330||Remote Sensing for Surveyors||03|
|MS 231||Web Mapping||02|
|MS 232||Cadastral Surveying||02|
|MS 233||Land Management||02|
|MS 234||Spatial Data Infrastructure (SDI)||02|
|MS 235||Laser Scanning||02|
|MS 236||Advanced Surveying Studio||02|
|Year II Semester I and Semester II|
|Application Processing Fee||2,500.00|
|Library Deposit (Refundable)||5,000.00|
* Tuition fee can be paid in two (02) instalments LKR 140,000 each. And the balance fee should be settled at the beginning of the second year. Sponsored students must submit a sponsorship letter upon registration. The letter must clearly state the type of fees covered (such as registration, tuition, library etc.).
Other Fees Applicable
|Thesis Re-examination Fee||30,000.00|
|Research Proposal Re-submission Fee||10,000.00|
|Extension of the Period of Registration per Semester||10,000.00|
Medium of Instruction:
FGS-SUSL Ratnapura Centre
Coordinator: (2017-18 Intake)
Dr. Thilantha Dammalage
Tel: +94- 71-4454050
Coordinator: (2019 Intake)
Dr. H Divithura